The sun is out, so it’s time to let your toes out. There’s no better way to do that than with your Rainbow sandals. You reach in the back of your closet and pull out your Rainbow sandals, but they seem a bit dirty and need some freshening up so what do you do?
Whether you have a pair of Rainbow sandals that just need freshening up or ones that are really filthy, don’t worry – if you’d like to know how to clean Rainbow sandals, then keep reading.
Cleaning Rainbow Sandals
Rainbow sandals are a popular brand of leather flip-flops that mold to the shape of your feet. Learning how to wash Rainbow sandals the right way will keep them looking great and also expand their life. Although the areas above the sole on these sandals can be made from different materials, there is one method you can use that will clean them all without causing any damage.
Things you’ll need:
- Small soft-bristle brush or soft toothbrush
- Lukewarm water
- Mild dish soap
- A few clean, soft cloths or rags
- Paper towels
Steps to clean rainbow flip-flops:
- Gently brush dirt and debris from the footbed and the upper of the sandal.
- Dampen one of the clean cloth or rags and wipe the sandals to remove surface dirt.
- Fill a bowl with a small amount of lukewarm water. Make sure that the water is not too hot as hot water can damage the leather footbeds.
- Add a couple of drops of the dish soap to the water and mix well combine and create a soapy solution.
- Take another clean cloth or rag and dip a small part into the soapy water and wring it out to remove any excess water.
- Use the cloth and in small circular motions clean all the areas above the sole.
- Start with the strap first and then move to the footbed.
- If the cloth dries out, then use a clean part or a new cloth to continue. Do this so that you do not transfer dirt from one area to another on the sandals.
- For stubborn marks or dirt use the soft-bristle brush and gently scrub until they are removed.
- After finishing the parts above the sole it’s then time to move on to the soles of the sandals.
- Again, dip a small part of a clean cloth into the soapy water and squeeze out any excess.
- Use the damp part of the cloth and go over the soles of the sandals in small circular motions.
- If the cloth gets excessively dirty, then use a clean area or a fresh cloth.
- You can use the soft bristle brush and gently scrub away any stuck-on dirt or stains.
- Once you’ve finished, use some paper towels to soak up any excess moisture and put your sandals to air dry.
- Do not scrub too hard with the bristle brush because you can damage the leather.
- Use a damp cloth only. Do not soak your Rainbow sandals in water.
- Wipe off all soapy residue or it may damage the leather.
- Always air dry your Rainbow sandals out of direct sunlight. Sunlight not only dries out leather and makes it brittle, but it can cause the footbed to curl and crack.
How to Keep Rainbow Sandals from Smelling Funky
If your rainbow sandals have a funky odor, there’s no need to worry. After all, these are summer footwear worn on sweaty feet when you’re in the sun. You can try a few things to get the smell out and keep them fresh.
One of the best ways you can keep them smelling good is to take a break from wearing them for a few days. Simply place them in a well-ventilated area to dry out, and if that doesn’t work, you can try one of the following methods below:
Things you’ll need:
- Paper towel
- Rubbing alcohol
Steps to get odors out using rubbing alcohol:
- Dampen a few sheets of paper towel with some rubbing alcohol. Make sure that the paper towels aren’t soaked just damp.
- Drape the dampened paper towels on the footbed of your sandals. The footbed is the part that contacts your feet.
- Leave the paper towels on the sandals for a few hours or until they dry out.
Thing’s you’ll need:
- A fine mist nozzle spray bottle
Steps to get odors out using vodka:
- Fill the spray bottle with a small amount of vodka.
- Mist the alcohol over the footbeds of the sandals, but make sure not to get them too wet.
- Leave the sandals to air dry in an area out of direct sunlight.
- Make sure that the sandals are completely dry before wearing them again.
Baking soda has many uses, and one of the most popular, other than being used in cooking, is to remove any unwanted smells from refrigerators and other areas of the home. So, as a common household deodorizer, you can also use baking soda to get rid of any foul smells coming from your Rainbow sandals.
Thing’s you’ll need:
- Baking soda
- A 1-gallon Ziplock bag that your sandals can fit into
Steps to getting odors out using baking soda:
- Place your Rainbow sandals into the Ziplock bag.
- Throw in half a cup of baking soda and seal the bag.
- Shake the bag until the sandals are coated with baking soda.
- Set the bag with the powder-coated sandals aside and leave it for about two or three days.
- After the time has elapsed, open the bag and remove the sandals.
- Shake them off to remove the baking soda.
- If that doesn’t remove all the baking soda, try banging the shoes together to remove any excess.
- Wipe the sandals with a clean cloth to get rid of any residue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you get Rainbow sandals wet?
You can, but don’t get them saturated. Getting them extremely wet can cause them to become waterlogged. As the leather dries out it may warp or crack as the natural oils evaporate with water as well. Therefore, when you are cleaning them, you use a slightly damp cloth.
Will cleaning my feet help to stop my Rainbow sandals from becoming smelly?
Cleaning your feet certainly helps to prevent your Rainbows from smelling funky. Millions of bacteria live on our feet and when you wear your Rainbows, you transfer some of those bacteria, resulting in a foul odor.
To stop this from happening, dry your feet thoroughly after getting them wet. If your feet sweat excessively, then you should use a foot antiperspirant or foot powder. This will reduce the sweatiness level and keep your feet and sandals dry and fresh smelling.
How long do Rainbow sandals last?
Rainbow sandals have a lifespan of about 2 years. If you treat them well and keep them in tip-top shape, they may even last longer.
Rainbow offers a guarantee for the lifetime of the sole. This means that the sandals are eligible for warranty until the top or bottom layer of the sole is worn. The repair of Rainbow sandals is covered if they are damaged or defective due to manufacturing defects only.
How do you store white Rainbow sandals?
Do not store your white Rainbow sandals and other Rainbow sandals with the rest of your shoes in a dark and damp closet. Instead, consider hanging them on their own. Hang a shoe tree on the outside of your closet door and place your rainbow sandals on it. For storage tips, read this article on how to store shoes.
You can enjoy the breeze between your toes this summer by keeping your Rainbow sandals clean and smelling fresh. Remember to be gentle when cleaning your Rainbows so that you do not damage them in any way. Also, keep in mind that if the leather cracks due to water, you void the Rainbow guarantee.
Refrain from using leather oils and conditioners as the company advises against using any oil or petroleum-based products on their sandals. These products can damage the layers of the sandals and will void the Rainbow guarantee as well.