We all love to rock a pair of white shoes; however, going for this color leaves us at risk of developing stains and discoloration. White mesh shoes are light, trendy, and functional. The mesh allows your feet to breathe and keep cool.
White mesh shoes give you a cool and edgy look, but they are also known to absorb almost anything they meet. This spoils the entire aesthetic and makes the shoes hard to clean. Fortunately, there are a few ways to clean your white mesh shoes without ruining them. Let’s dive right in and look at the best way to clean white sneakers and return them to their crisp, fresh look.
How to Clean Mesh Shoes
To wash white shoes, you can use several items that can be found right in your home. You can also wash them by hand or in the washer if you’re careful enough. You can try one or more of these home remedies to clean your white Adidas shoes or any other brand of white mesh shoes.
How to Wash White Shoes by Hand
- Remove the shoelaces and stuff the shoe with a clean cloth. The cloth will absorb liquid that leaks into the shoe during the cleaning process. It will also provide some resistance when you scrub the surface of the shoe.
- Take a soft shoe brush or an old soft toothbrush and brush away any excess dirt from your shoe. Hold the brush perpendicular to the shoe and brush off excess dirt using short, simple motions.
- Fill a small bowl about halfway with warm water and add 1 teaspoon dish soap. Use the teaspoon to mix in the soap until the solution is slightly soapy and not too sticky or frothy. You can also soak your laces in some of this solution in a separate bowl if they are dirty.
- Dip a clean cloth into the cleaning solution and scrub the surface of the shoe. Use circular motions and apply a light amount of pressure. Rinse the cloth periodically in a separate bowl filled with clean warm water.
- After all the stains have been removed, rinse the rag, and clean the surface of the shoes. Keep rinsing and wiping the surface of the shoes until all the soapy residue is removed.
- Next, use disinfecting wipes and clean the midsoles of your shoes. Wipe the midsoles with a fair amount of pressure but be careful not to touch the surface of the shoe.
- Leave the shoe to air dry in a cool place for 24 hours.
How to Wash White Shoes in the Washer
Only wash your shoes in the washer if the manufacturer recommends doing so. Some shoe materials cannot be washed in the washer or they get damaged. If your shoes can be washed in the washer then follow the steps below.
- Brush away any excess dirt on the shoes.
- Remove your shoelaces and put them in a sock. Tie the end of the sock with an elastic band. This way they will get cleaned in the same load as your shoes.
- Place your shoe in a pillowcase or mesh bag, twist the end and secure it with an elastic band to keep it closed.
- Put the pillowcase with your shoes and your sock with the laces in the washer.
- Stuff the extra space with rags or other fabric to prevent the pillowcase from hitting the walls of the washer.
- If you have a top-loading washer with a center turbine, wrap the edges with a towel.
- Pour 1 cup of laundry detergent and close the washer.
- Set your washer to perform a delicate and cold wash. Double-check your settings and if all is well, start the washing cycle.
- After the cycle is completed, remove your shoes from the pillowcase and the laces from the socks and leave them to air dry for 24 hours.
How to Keep White Sneakers Clean?
- Pre-treat your white sneakers with a shoe protectant. Liberally spray your shoes every couple of weeks to prevent stains from developing and water from being absorbed.
- Wipe off stains and scuffs immediately using a damp sponge or cloth with a touch of dish soap. Alternatively, if those aren’t available, you can always purchase pre-moistened sneaker wipes for when you’re on the go.
- Clean your shoes after every wear so that they’re always ready and stains don’t have a chance to set.
- Use a rubber eraser to erase marks and keep your soles white
- Deep clean your white shoes regularly
- Never dry or store your white sneakers in direct sunlight.
How to Clean White Shoes with Baking Soda?
Simply saturate the shoe by spraying it with vinegar and sprinkling baking soda onto it. The vinegar and baking soda create a chemical reaction that tackles even the toughest stains. Take a small, soft brush and gently scrub until the stain is gone. Rinse the shoe with cold water and leave it to air dry.
What can I do to get Grass Stains Out of White Shoes?
Use a simple water and vinegar mixture, a laundry detergent, dish soap, and water solution, or a paste of baking soda and water. For steps on how to use these solutions, read this guide that teaches you how to get grass stains out of shoes.
How to Clean all-white Huaraches?
Remove the laces and brush excess dirt away from the shoe using a soft brush. Make a paste using a couple of tablespoons of baking soda, warm water, and a few drops of vinegar. Mix until they all combine and have the consistency of wet cement.
Using a cloth or brush, evenly coat your huaraches with the mixture. Leave the shoes in a dry area for up to 6 hours or more until the mixture hardens. Once dry, gently tap the shoes on any hard surface and most of the dried paste should fall off. Take a wet cloth and remove any residue.
Alternatively, you can use a sneaker cleaner to clean your huaraches. Simply spray up to 20 pumps of the sneaker cleaner on each shoe. Gently brush the spray solution on the shoe for a couple of minutes. Take a soft, clean cloth – preferably a microfiber towel – and wipe away any excess sneaker cleaner. Leave the shoes to air dry.
How to Clean Nike Air Max Shoes?
Cleaning your Nike Air Max shoes will require a different approach to other shoes since they are usually made up of multiple materials. These materials need to be cleaned separately to reduce the chances of damaging the shoe.
Use a dry, soft-bristle brush to remove dirt from the uppers, the outsole, and the midsole. Remove the shoelaces and make a cleaning solution. For the cleaning solution, fill a small bowl halfway with warm water and add a teaspoon of dish soap or mild detergent.
If your laces are dirty, massage them with the cleaning solution until clean. Rinse and leave to air dry. Do not submerge or soak the end of your laces into the mixture or during the rinsing process. Use a soft brush with the cleaning solution and scrub the outsole and the midsole. Repeat if necessary and dry with a soft cloth.
The uppers on your shoes are made up of different materials and require special care. Dip a clean cloth or soft brush into the cleaning solution and gently scrub an area to loosen dirt. Take a clean dry microfiber cloth and blot the area dry after scrubbing. Press down and lift to trap and remove the dirt.
Repeat the scrubbing and blotting until the area is cleaned. Continue as needed over the entire uppers until all areas are cleaned. Finally, leave your Nike Air Max shoes to air dry away from direct sunlight.
To clean white mesh shoes, you must be gentle and patient. You can wash the shoes by hand, using common items found in the home, or in the washing machine. Try one of the methods detailed above and get ready to rock your white kicks again within 24 hours.